- Prepare a sterile container. If your physician has ordered an anaerobic test, additionally prepare a syringe and injection needle in a protection cap.
- Before collecting semen, wash your hands and penis thoroughly with soap and water (pull back the foreskin and wash the glans).
- Urinate into the toilet. The urine stream flushes out the microorganisms colonizing the initial segment of the urethra.
- Collect semen by masturbation into a sterile container.
- Send the specimen to the laboratory in a sterile container – if an aerobic culture is to be performed only. If the doctor orders an anaerobic culture, draw the specimen into a sterile syringe, remove excess air from the syringe, and secure the syringe with a needle. Important: Do not remove the cap that protects the needle.
The specimen in a sterile container or syringe should be delivered to the laboratory as soon as possible, but not later than within 2 hours.